About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
I'm an insurance professional with a desk job that has not helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle. I'm on a mission to put myself first and be the person I want to be.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Week #1 - Peaches



Did you know that peaches should be stored at room temperature and refrigeration should be avoided as this can lessen the taste of the peach and that peaches do not ripen after being picked from the tree, so storing for ripening is not necessary? I did not know that, but then again, I've never done any research. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, but like so many other busy professionals, I tend to follow a cookbook and not think about the natural ingredients other than "Does my mega mart have that?".

I wonder who started these rumors about storing peaches in a brown paper bag? My peaches never ripen in the blasted bag. This little bit of knowledge will make my peach picking endeavours at the store much more successful.

I made an excellent Gingersnap Peach Pie last night and forced myself to buy already ripe peaches at the store yesterday. I had one left over and decided to enjoy it in it's natural state. It was like a peach exploded in my mouth. I don't know that I've ever eaten a peach so tasty. I now know that it should always taste like this. Ripe and free of refrigeration. The challenge now is find a way of keeping them fresh at room temperature without spoiling before I eat them or the cats lick them to death.

I wonder if anyone out there has other stories about peaches or recipes they wish to share? Here is one for Gingersnap Peach Pie (see photo):

INGREDIENTS:
2 pound(s) peach(es), yellow or white variety
1/3 cup(s) sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp unsalted butter
4 oz gingersnap(s), about 18 cookie

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Cut peaches in half and remove pits. Cut each peach half into four slices. Combine peaches, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cornstarch in a medium bowl; set aside.

Melt butter in microwave or on stove top. Crush gingersnaps into crumbs; place in a small bowl. Pour melted butter into crumbs and combine thoroughly. Pat crumb mixture into bottom of a 9-inch ceramic or glass pie plate; make sure crumbs are evenly distributed.

Starting at edge of pie plate, arrange peach slices in concentric circles so that they cover entire surface of pie and form a petal-like pattern. To form center of flower, arrange several peach slices in a small circle. Pour any remaining liquid from peach mixture over top of pie so it is evenly distributed.

Bake pie in bottom 1/3 of oven for 20 minutes; reduce heat to 325ºF and bake for 40 minutes more.
Remove from oven and cool completely in pie plate on a wire rack (about 2 hours). Slice into 8 pieces just before serving. Yields 1 piece per serving. (3 WW Points per serving)

(Note: You don't have to peel the peaches first. I didn't and it was still very tasty and the skins were practically dissolved from the cooking process)

No comments:

Post a Comment