About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
I'm an insurance professional with a desk job that has not helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle. I'm on a mission to put myself first and be the person I want to be.

Friday, February 5, 2010

That stupid groundhog!

Who wants 6 more weeks of winter?  Not me.  For those of you that are going to be stuck inside this weekend, like myself, what are you going to do to keep moving?  I welcome your thoughts.  Hopefully our snow worries are being over dramatized and I'll be able to get that much needed haircut and pop over to the gym after.  Just in case though, here are some suggestions for staying active this weekend:

  1. Dust off those exercise dvds.  You know you have them.  I have 6 or 7 Leslie Sansone walking dvds that really get the blood pumping and burn a ton of calories.  (try and do them on the first floor because it can get pretty annoying if you are jumping around upstairs when people are trying to relax below you)
  2. Exercise TV - I love it.  There are hundreds of workouts for every fitness level and best of all they are free.  Well, not free since we pay for cable, but no additional monthly charge.
  3. Shovel snow.  I hate it too, but it keeps you moving and NO SNOW BLOWERS.
  4. Check out CardioCoach.com  "Cardio Coach™ is a downloadable audio workout program for your iPod / MP3 player and is designed for any type of cardio machine (bikes, treadmill, cross trainer, elliptical, stair stepper, rower etc.) & features a patented levels & zone system for any fitness level, from beginner to advanced."
  5. Walk the steps if you have them. We have two sets of steps in our house and no matter how much my hubby laughs at me, if I can't get out of the house I walk up and down the steps until it hurts.
  6. Clean your house, do laundry, walk the dogs, you get the idea.
  7. Grab a can of something (or two) and use them as weights while you are sitting in front of the tv.  (not that you will be doing such a lazy thing, but just in case)
  8. Jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups - you know your basic exercises, no equipment needed
  9. YOGA or stretching
  10. If you have equipment in your house...USE IT.  Get the clothes off of it and use it for something other than a spare closet.  (you know who you are) Combine with #4 above if you can.
Make sure you don't mindlessly snack all weekend.  I know we have a huge snack menu planned for the Super Bowl, but I'm trying to substitute healthy alternatives for some of the items. 

Be safe and have fun, but get moving!

1 comment:

  1. ExerciseTV is the greatest!! They helped me loose to much weight with the OnDemand videos and online mini downloadable videos!! Have you been to their website? They have a bunch of useful tools -- the community is a great way to connect with people who re going through the same ordeals are you and a blog section wtih tips and motivation!! GO CHECK THEM OUT @ exercisetv.tv

    ReplyDelete