About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
I'm an insurance professional with a desk job that has not helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle. I'm on a mission to put myself first and be the person I want to be.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Don't just start strong....finish strong!

This year it will just be my husband, my mother and I for our New Year’s Eve celebration and I don’t want to fall into that trap of eating anything and everything “because I’ll start my diet tomorrow”. I’m not on a diet, I’m living healthy. I’m carefully planning some tasty and healthy treats for our enjoyment tomorrow night, so there won’t be plates of meats and cheeses, but there will be veggies and light dips. I’m also going to put together a chicken taco bar with whole wheat tortillas and all the fixings. I’m also going to bake up the extra corn tortillas from the last time Aaron’s sister was here and made her enchiladas. Why do they sell them in packs of 50? Anyway, I’ll make some guacamole and try to have healthy fats this New Year’s Eve. So don’t fall into that trap that 1/1 is a new beginning. Whatever you put into your body has lasting effects, so love yourself and be kind to yourself.


Looking at 2010 is a bit scary. What if I fail and don’t reach my weight loss goal? What if I get injured and can’t work out? What if, what if, what if? In my mind I know I have the dedication and the courage to move forward, but I also know if I’m typing another year end entry this time next year where I haven’t reached my goal…I’ll be devastated. I have 35-40 pounds to go and there is no way I can’t achieve that by 12/31/2010!

2010 has to be a growth year for me, emotionally, not physically. I need to accept the loss of my father and my life the way it is. There is good in every situation if you look hard enough. I will remember to look for the good and learn from my experiences. If I make a bad choice (food or otherwise) I will learn how to forgive myself. I don’t want to focus too much on my 2010 goals in this post. I’ll save that for after 1/1. For now let me reflect on what I’ve learned in 2009…

The most important thing I learned is that life does go on. The sudden loss of my dad back in March altered my life in a way I never imagined. There was no time to prepare, no time to say good-bye, no time to make sense of what was happening. My father had finally started to take his health seriously and had lost 35 pounds. Sadly it was too late and he suffered a massive cardiac arrest from years of abusing his body with food. It took me 8 weeks of grieving and counseling, but I woke up one morning and decided I would not have the same fate. I called the doctor, told him how I wanted to lose weight and start exercising and he helped me with a plan. That was my first step.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned in 2009 is to solicit the help of your friends. I told everyone I was close to that I wanted to get healthy and asked for their support. Most were eager to help and encourage. I created a plan and weekly spreadsheet and I made myself accountable to my friend Vicki who had been through her own weight loss battle. Even on weeks when I didn’t lose she, and others, gave me inspiration to move ahead and focus on the end goal.

I also learned that web surfing isn’t always a waste of time. There is tons of information out there to help you with your goals. Most of that information is free. I found a great website www.myfatsecret.com. I made some good online buddies and we have kept in touch and help support each other. (you know who you are!)

On that note, if several of your friends and family are interested in getting in shape this coming year, organize a potluck dinner with a healthy theme to kick off 2010? Challenge guests to meet a healthy predetermined calorie and fat limit for each dish they bring. Encourage people to bring enough copies of the recipes to share. If the plan goes over, then take it on the road and have a dinner each month at another friends home.

This is my last post for 2009 and I wanted to thank all of you for reading and your comments. I wish all of you a healthy 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment