About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
I'm an insurance professional with a desk job that has not helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle. I'm on a mission to put myself first and be the person I want to be.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Slow & Steady...right

I just completed the first week of my 5k training.  Oh wait, let me back track. I joined a new gym on Thursday.  I love it.  It's close to home and pretty small.  It's geared more toward weight lifting, but they  have full cardio room and offer various classes.  I let my husband do the leg work on the last gym and I was not very pleased when I learned it was more for group sports and less toward working out, so this time I did all the work myself.  I joined on Thursday and got my first work out in the same day.   It felt great to end the year with a workout.  I was so exhausted by midnight, but at least I had a clear head and was looking forward to the challenges and successes ahead in 2010.  I got my third training session in today.  I actually think I'm going to repeat the first week's schedule because I wasn't as pleased with my times and distances as I had hoped.  Not to mention my knees and chins hurt in a way I didn't think possible. 

My ex-husband was a distance runner and I could never relate to that.  I know I'm only 3 runs in, but I really like it.  I love the me time and the chance to listen to my tunes. I definately see the commitment it takes to run distances.  I have a whole new respect for marathon runners.




Hopefully I will find the same dedication to eating better real soon.  I'm still snacking and tonight I had pizza for dinner.  I'm still in the holiday mode, but not nearly as bad as the past couple of weeks. 

Yes, this is a rambling post, but just wanted to share my excitement with all 4 of my followers.  Yes, you read me correctly...that's 4 followers now.  Hi to Holly!

Weigh in for the challenge at work is Monday.  Game on!

Peace in 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie! I am sharing in your excitement right along with you! Congratulations on taking up a new challenge and sticking with it. I just started running, too. I can totally relate to your post. I started feeling like anything more than a mile was impossible. I've made it to comfortable at 5 miles, but it is still a very slow 5 mile run. I'll be working right along with you cheering you on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete