About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
I'm an insurance professional with a desk job that has not helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle. I'm on a mission to put myself first and be the person I want to be.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Exercising Blind

It's been a very busy week for me and it's only Wednesday.  The weather here in Pittsburgh is miserably cold and snowy.  Monday it was in the single digits.  Thankfully I had a vacation day planned so I didn't have to get up early and go out in the cold.  I took my car in for service on Monday and came home with a new Santa Fe which I just love.  What a great way to start the week.  After spending 6 hours at the dealership I decided to get out my car buying frustration at the gym.  I set my Nike+ to 5k workout and hit the treadmill.  Obviously I did not run or jog the entire distance, but I completed the course alternating between 2 minutes of jogging and 1 minute of walking.  It took me 40 minutes, but I really enjoyed it....even though I did have to jump off the treadmill halfway because I knocked over my water bottle.  Oops.

While I was jog/walking Monday I realized how nice it was to not have my glasses on or my contacts in.  It forced me to focus on my music and to pay attention to what I was doing rather than what everyone around me was doing.  It helped me get into that zone where you are a lone person on the highway of life.  I left the gym soaking wet with sweat, but feeling good that I completed the distance.  It helped that at the end of my workout a recorded Lance Armstrong was congratulating me on my longest workout yet.  LOL

I was still floating on my accomplishment the next morning when a co-worker stopped over to ask me if I worked out and at what gym.  When I told him he said "I thought that was you last night.  You looked like you had just run a marathon!"  Bubble bursted on the spot!  I've always had this fear of being at the gym and looking like I just got out of a pool with my clothes on and now that fear is realized.  Six months ago I would have scoped out the gym parking lot for his car before entering again, but not now, not this Carrie.  I've got goals to achieve and I don't give a rip who sees me during or after a good workout.  Exercise isn't supposed to be pretty.  I'm still not sure if I will exercise blind again.  I think if people can see me, then I better see them.

Oh, I weighed in on Tuesday for the work challenge and I actually lost some weight last week.  It was just so nice to start this challenge under 200 lbs!  Did anyone watch The Biggest Loser last night.  I was shocked that they made each team ride 26.2 miles right off the bat.  I'm also glad they are giving the 2 eliminated teams the opportunity to come back in 30 days if they have the highest % of weight loss.  Imagine if they can achieve results at home what it will be like when they get to be on the ranch.

130 days until I run my first 5K race!

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog. I'm so glad you found a gym nearby that you actually like. Don't stress about anyone seeing you all sweaty at the gym. That's what you're there for. You GO girl! Run Carrie Run!

    ReplyDelete