About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
I'm an insurance professional with a desk job that has not helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle. I'm on a mission to put myself first and be the person I want to be.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Small Changes

Thought for the day:  Through trials and tribulations beauty is revealed.  Strength is in each of us and is nurtured by faith, perserverance and thankfulness that lead toward a purpose and a desire to move forward.

Monday Weigh In:  194.5  Progress chart:

2 weeks (-3.5lbs)


So who knew that old fable about the tortoise and the hare would find its way into so many aspects of my life.  New studies show that taking baby steps is the best way to get lasting results.  Focus on a few small changes and you will be surprised how they become healthy habits that last a lifetime.  I'm going to spend the next few entries telling you about the ones that have worked for me so far.

Numero Uno:
CARRY A FOOD JOURNAL WITH YOU EVERYWHERE YOU GO
I could not believe how many calories I was consuming in a day.  Keeping a log helped me in so many ways.  I start my day by writing out my meals and calculating calories.  During the day I can check off items as I consume them so it helps me stick to the plan.  I'm careful to add anything additional I eat and note why I had to snack.  I also note how full or hungry I am after I eat a meal.   It's all about accountability.

Monday morning when I step on that scale I should have a good idea ahead of time how much progress I have made.  If I've gained or only lost a little then I look back at the week and try to figure out what happened with my eating.

The best advice I can give you about journaling is not to lie.  The scale will tell the truth, so you might as well write everything down so you can monitor your overeating triggers.  If you don't keep an accurate record you won't be able to learn from your mistakes and isn't life all about learning?

So go out and get yourself a journal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment